Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30 - GPS Session

I have no idea what concurrent session number I'm in right now. Most likely this is number 3. The session is "Where in the World: Interctive GPS Lesson." I arrived 15 minutes early and still barely got a seat. I have not eaten lunch as of yet, but figure I can do that after this.

I had planned on attending a couple gaming-related sessions, but have not made it to one just yet. I also had hoped to tap into an outlet at somepoint, but that didn't happen in this session either.

After I left the 'how to search' session, I walked through the exhibit hall for a bit. I've picked up a few trinkets, but my bag is already heavy. After this session, I may head back to the hotel for a bite and a bag dump!

Later today, I am signed up for the GP hands-on 3-hour program.

The program here is about to start - I'll update as we go along.

This was developed as a project between the college and a partner middle school.

The beginning of the presentation thus far has been a video the presenters made. While, it's semi-interesting, I think it would have been much more effective to tell us about what they did 'live' instead. There is also music overlaid and it is too loud to hear the narration. The project ultiimately required students to work in teams to find clues as to the location of their teacher. The project is available online (which I assume we will receive).

Several participants here will engage in a live demonstration.

Map reading, mapquest activity, topography maps. Students built topo map with playdoh. Latitude and longitude, coordinate systems, satellite imagery, and intro to GPS. Points on gps obtained from sat. image activity.

Whole group gps activity, 4 groups, students had to create geocaching.com pages and hide their caches. fine other groups' caches. each cache had puzzle pieces, put pieces together to reveal message.

Replicate final project. students are broken into 5 teams. intro to project, rules of the mission, there are 10 way points. each team is gievn 2 waypoints. half the teams will stay at HQ. When clues are found, they will radio back to HQ so HQ can research. How fast can the group get the job done?

Two memers of each group are staying, and two are going outside. Several observers appear to be going with the GPS group as well. Many observers are staying at HQ.

If my laptop battery dies, I will share info later when battery is charged or I can find an outlet.

geography in the classroom 2008 project page. httP://education.snc.edu/gps/GPS_Project.html

We are connected live via CIV to one of the students who did the project. The HQ tables are listening to their walkie-talkies while getting instruction.

geocacheproject.spaces.live.com - site for HQ web pages. This is where the HQ folks will help the others in the field.

Content can be modified for any content area. Can be split up into different sections. Morning - find clues. Afternoon - put clues together. Can be done with single teacher and another adult to help while students go out to find clues. They also used CHANCE cards. Switches people around and offers alternate roles.

As the session continues, the HQ folks are radioing back and forth the folks in the field. The public is allowed to access the project site to replicate the program.

Some folks have come back in, and they will work with their partners to solve the clues.

Very cool program and a fun way to use and teach GPS!

No comments: